Thursday, October 4, 2012

PIGS!!! Cover Design

I've been somewhat silent about my  "PIGS! , Under the Post Office?" book lately as the project underwent a change of plans and I took a bit of time off from it to work on other projects for a bit. We are now back on track with that book and still hoping to be published within a couple of months. All of the internal illustrations are done but I do have one more internal to repaint due to a lack of planning on my part with that image. It simply wasn't going to work to have text overlaid on it as it was and it came out terrible being the first image I painted in the book. I struggled a lot with how precisely to paint the mud for this book and didn't do as many preliminary color samples for that as I should have. Other than that I just have the cover design which we are working out final details for.


we will still play with background layout colors once the main design is chosen. This particular cover design is basically a combination of two of the internal illustrations so for the samples I just photo-shopped those two illustrations together rather than doing actual sloppy color samples. These could actually serve as the final cover designs but as I tend to get super picky with my art I will actually go ahead and paint out one final image. I have some changes that need to be made to specifically fit the images to the cover. The title is just a rough lay in for now and will be laid out by our graphic designer. As usual I plop in the cover with "Hobo STD" and hope the graphic designer comes up with better more pleasing ideas. As I always tell people, I'm not a graphic designer but doing this step does help the client to imagine the final design.

   I'm getting pretty excited about this book as I really like the story and feel the client has some new fresh ideas to promote and market the book. I also feel the book is somewhat timely as we are at a point in our country where post offices may be going extinct with the advance of e-mail, texting, and online communication in general.

No comments: