Thursday, March 31, 2011

Rough Sketches for my Monster Children's Book

              These are three of the rough draft drawings for my new Illustrated children's book "Allegra, friend of all Monsters" . I usually try not to post more finished artwork from books this early on, but in this case I'm soo excited about how this book is turning out that I simply can't resist posting some samples. What's soo exciting about this is that these are what I would consider to be the least action packed scenes of the book and yet I feel even these have so much great detail for the kids to enjoy. I keep telling people that with every book I do I can see my art progressing by leaps and bounds and that certainly rings true for this book. Of course I still have  sooooooo much mroe to learn that it can be a bit overwhelming at times. 
      








God has been so great to me in allowing me to continue down this path over these past few years. I can't tell you how many times I've felt I might need to get a different job that pays more substantially and yet God keeps providing just when I've tried everything I know how to do on my own. The past month has been a bit of a roller coaster ride not knowing what was in store next and getting down to the last few dollars in my bank account for the first time in my life. I'm generally extremely good at saving money and not over indulging even when I have money. So for me to nearly run out of money is beyond rare.

     As Lent was just around the corner I knew I would have to make some tough decisions in regards to my time and money. Should I spend the day helping the Knights of Columbus with the fish fry?, should I go to stations of the cross and the Young adult Holy Hour?, should I spend the gas money to make it to Parish council meeting when surely they don't need me there anyway? In the end I decided that I needed to go to these things more than I needed to stay at home searching for my next gig. I had always heard that you put God first in all things and he will provide for you all that you need, for as the bible says " he knows all the hairs on your head" (Luke 12), "he cares enough to feed the birds in the sky and clothe the flowers of the field and so surely he will do the same for us" (Mat.6),

       Now once again I find myself overwhelmed with work and just baffled at how these new clients searched me out. This isn't something I did. So anyway, just feeling extra thankful to be a children's book illustrator at this time in my life. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I tend to delete more of what I write than what gets posted or saved or sent. I suppose this second part is something I would delete as it's getting late and I would deem that this isn't anything I set out to write in the first place. I also generally wouldn't necessarily think an art blog is the best place to write about my faith in any way. But for tonight I'm choosing not to delete this and just to proclaim How amazing God truly is for those who trust in him and allow him to be their all in all, king of kings and Lord of Lords. I may not always get to be a children's book illustrator but I'm certain that whatever I do, so long as it's in the name of our Lord, it will be a great and joyful thing to do. Thanks for reading. God bless!

2 comments:

Marie Seltenrych said...

I love these and I pray God will continue to give you strength, courage and work you love to do.

Matthew Gauvin said...

Thanks Marie!

I've still been doing lots of art but a lot slower as I'm only doing illustration/painting two days a week now and have another part time job. I'm sure I'll figure out hwo to get back to full time again at some point and actually make it work for me. God is good. Whether I get to do it full time again or not I am just happy I got to do it for eight years!
-Matthew